Thursday, April 19, 2012

Dangerous Pissing Contests


This will be my first post on politics in India. Hopefully you like it.

At the moment, I am a resident of India. I have been for the past 6 months, and hopefully will be for the next 5 – 6 years. The political environment in India, understandably, has started to concern me more. The BBC had a large headline today about India having a long range missile capable of reaching China.

India, may I ask why this needed to be such a large announcement? Are you in yet another pissing contest with China? If so, why?? For the love of Buddha India, don’t poke a sleeping bear. India and China have an uneasy peace going on, why poke at China by saying that you can blow them sky high? It just doesn’t make sense.
Another thought – since the officials officially deny it (well obviously!) is someone else trying to pit India and China against each other? I really don’t think that is the case, but I still wonder.

Have we really not learned yet that piling weapons upon weapons in the name of deterrence is really not all that logical? All it takes is one of the dominoes falling (even accidentally) and the whole world is all of a sudden glowing nuclear green.

There’s a lot of chatter from the talking heads about this being a huge success. I’m not sure how far I agree with that. Perhaps the rocket launch was successful, but if you look beyond the surface, it makes me pretty damn nervous. India, please do not take cowboy lessons from the US. This is not a good track to go down.

Becky

No comments: